X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Rook really a tank?

Yes he does have more health and some defensive abilities, but he still goes down so fast, sometimes surprisingly so. So I end up having to play him just as cautiously as the squishier characters anyway, unless I want to die a lot.

I feel like I want to jump in ahead of my team and begin the encounter as tanks traditionally do, but that rarely goes very well (especially for my score), so I end up hanging back, dancing, and only jumping in towards the end of an encounter when everyone's health is low.

I've tried all different combinations of masteries and I'm still having trouble. I really want to like him, but when i can just pick a damage dealer and do so much better it's disheartening. He's still my favourite character, but it's getting harder and harder to find the will to keep playing him.

You don't want to jump into the fight ahead of your teammates. You wanna stay on the front line, but you want everyone else to be right behind you, piling on the damage to anyone foolish enough to attack you first. Be the wall you were always meant to be.

Comment

Originally posted by SygBoss View Post
      Yes he does have more health and some defensive abilities, but he still goes down so fast, sometimes surprisingly so. So I end up having to play him just as cautiously as the squishier characters anyway, unless I want to die a lot.

I feel like I want to jump in ahead of my team and begin the encounter as tanks traditionally do, but that rarely goes very well (especially for my score), so I end up hanging back, dancing, and only jumping in towards the end of an encounter when everyone's health is low.

I've tried all different combinations of masteries and I'm still having trouble. I really want to like him, but when i can just pick a damage dealer and do so much better it's disheartening. He's still my favourite character, but it's getting harder and harder to find the will to keep playing him.

I agree he seems to be less of a tank and more of a damage dealer... who deals out weak damage. Perhaps with augments and masteries he plays closer to the intended target.

Comment

Rook is hilarious but I can't play him as I LMAO when he says "tea time already" lol.

I've found out that Augments can do a lot of difference as I've been experimenting a lot with them... especially when it comes to close combat... which augments you have? Do you have Hardened Combatant?
        Last edited by slejfer; 09-05-2016, 11:12 PM.

Comment

My favourites this far is Elena and Jyn... If you upgrade Jyn's fast jump his damage is 50% damage if you hit the exact mark... Hard to do though...

Comment

Perhaps I'll ping DarthEban to give some feedback on here, but yeah I think your fellow gamers have provided some solid feedback. Becoming an expert with Bulwark is likely the most useful thing you can do with Rook though.

Comment

When I originally posted this i had completely maxed out all his masteries.. except Iron Vanguard which I had never used for some odd reason. So, I maxed it, and suddenly I feel way more tanky. *shrug* I dunno. Could also be that i'm trying to play slightly more reserved, knowing when to cut my losses and not get too greedy.

It's not that I don't do well with him, nearly always top 3, but it still feels harder to score with him than the more damage based characters, which I think is the main cause of my frustration. It's like I pick Jyn or Sylvin or even Hacksaw and suddenly I got gold medals out the wazoo.

Originally posted by ztstyle View Post
              Perhaps I'll ping DarthEban to give some feedback on here, but yeah I think your fellow gamers have provided some solid feedback. Becoming an expert with Bulwark is likely the most useful thing you can do with Rook though.
              I want to love Bulwark. But it only feels good when people don't know how to counter it. Nearly every character can just stun him out of it or maneuver around it (even with advancing bulwark mastery), making it especially useless in games overrun by mutants. Then it goes on a massive cooldown and it feels like it's just not worth the mastery slot. I should probably watch some footage of Eban to get some ideas though.

Edit: Just noticed he has a Rook tutorial up. Time to watch!
              Last edited by SygBoss; 09-07-2016, 09:31 PM.

Comment

When I originally posted this i had completely maxed out all his masteries.. except Iron Vanguard which I had never used for some odd reason.

I want to love Bulwark. But it only feels good when people don't know how to counter it. Nearly every character can just stun him out of it or maneuver around it (even with advancing bulwark mastery), making it especially useless in games overrun by mutants. Then it goes on a massive cooldown and it feels like it's just not worth the mastery slot. I should probably watch some footage of Eban to get some ideas though.

Edit: Just noticed he has a Rook tutorial up. Time to watch!
                Masteries:
                Advancing Bulwark
                Blanket of Fire
                Power Draw

Augments:
                Pennywise
                Blue Light Special
                Mechanical Goliath
                Regenerative Progression

You'll notice I use a lot of my masteries and augments are centered around stamina regen and that's because I like to use Storm Shield and Bulwark at the same time. That's when Rook is at his tankiest. And the stamina regen lets Rook stay in bulwark for a LONG time

As with any special ability, the timing when you use it is crucial. When going one-on-one I like to use bulwark when someone has already used their movement ability so they can't jump/teleport to flank you.

In general, use Storm Shield whenever I go into a battle. To maximize the effectiveness make sure you stay close enough to your opponent so that they take damage from your primary fire AND the Storm Shield

The only time I get completely shredded is if I'm severely outnumbered and/or if i'm severely out-leveled. There are some cases where it's worth doing, but for the most part I'd say to stay out of these situations.

Keep in mind the video I made was pre-nerf so at that time Rook was still able to keep his bulwark up despite stuns. I still find it super useful I just need to be more aware of my opponents if they're able to knock him out of it and if they do, I adjust.

Comment

Thanks for the input Eban. I've been trying that build since I watched the video. It's effective against other mercs as I suspected, and Advancing Bulwark is just a really fun ability to use, but my main problem is the majority of games are mutant fests at the moment, and Bulwark feels pretty useless when you've got multiple Gridlocks and Deadlifts coming for you. Too many stuns. It's times like that when I really miss my Leap and Storm Shield masteries to get me out of trouble.

Comment

I have actually been starting to use Rook at sometimes now but I still feel Bulwark is too slow when turning even if I have the mastery for bulwark fully upgraded... Most times mercs go around too fast and comes up at the side....
                    But it must be timing as DarthEban said.

Comment

Originally posted by slejfer View Post
                      My favourites this far is Elena and Jyn... If you upgrade Jyn's fast jump his damage is 50% damage if you hit the exact mark... Hard to do though...

ok I'm correcting myself, it is not the damage so I've noticed but the damage area... lol

Comment

Originally posted by slejfer View Post
                        Rook is hilarious but I can't play him as I LMAO when he says "tea time already" lol.
                        Yea when he's waiting at a healing station. Funny thing is, as a tea loving Brit myself, that's usually when I have a sip of my tea lol

Comment

Yea when he's waiting at a healing station. Funny thing is, as a tea loving Brit myself, that's usually when I have a sip of my tea lol

hehe awesome. "Tea time is it"
                          I had a real good game yesterday with Rook, used Bulwark against the Mutants and managed to put them down several times.

Comment

Working...
                          X