X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Mercenary - The Charlie thread

Ok so, I freakin love Charlie. I really love any video games where I can punch stuff, especially ones where everyone else is using guns. Yeah. So she's right up my alley. I also love characters with a leap as their movement ability. I'm really having fun with her, but I don't think she'll be to everyone's taste.

How are you finding Charlie?

Edit: Some updated thoughts after a playing a few matches with her: I think she's really, really bad lol. She has even shorter melee range than Hiro, so she suffers from all the same problems like getting caught in the strain and trying to get in range, but has none of the utility of his turret or slow beam. For a melee character she's also quite slow and squishy, making it very hard to chase people. She does however have pretty high damage when you activate her ultimate, but only ifyou can actually get in range to make use of it, and only if you can survive long enough, and other mercs have higher damage without the melee handicap soo.. yeah... Overall, I love her design and I'm still having fun with her but she feels really weak compared to other characters. It's been a long time since I've repeatedly finished so low on the scoreboard lol. But it could just be a lack of familiarity and picking the right masteries. Currently I have both her Ult masteries and the one that adds a stun to her Sock 'em.

Edit 2: I've removed the shield ult mastery because it's completely pointless and gets shredded the instant you activate it. The stun on Sock 'em is also so brief that it's useless. I'll go with the damage mastery instead.

Edit 3: Ok I officially don't like her anymore lmfao. It only took a few hours to go from love to hate. It's sad how enthusiastic I was in the opening post. She is so bad that it is impossible to have fun using her. I don't understand how you can have such squishy melee characters in a game full of ranged ones. At least with Hiro you can hang back and let your turret do the ranged damage, but with Charlie you have no choice but to go in on your opponent, which always means suicide, even with your ult.

Edit 4: Minerva vs Charlie 9-1 match up
    Last edited by SygBoss; 10-04-2016, 03:55 AM.

I actually like Charlie. She didn't look like my kind of Merc, but I ended up liking her a lot. I feel like if you pair her with Vincent or Minerva, she's a huge threat. That damage is ridiculous, and her attack speed buff is a dream. I do agree that she's bad, to an extent. She can't really 1v1, and she's a bit slow, but when you switch to a more patient playstyle, I think she can work.

Comment

• SygBoss
      SygBoss commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea you're right, not being able to really 1v1 anyone is so frustrating. You always need backup. I don't really feel like that with any other characters, at least not to this extent.

• KronicXL
      KronicXL commented
      Editing a comment
      This game is heavily reliant on team play. I will say, Charlie is definitely crippled compared to other damage dealers, but I feel like she can fit in with the rest of the cast. Also, I 100% agree with the Minerva-Charlie matchup. If you're a Charlie, and you see a Minerva, and you both are alone, just run. Don't even look back.
      Last edited by KronicXL; 10-04-2016, 03:53 PM.

I tried two matches with Charlie and just couldn't get the hang of her. I'm sticking with Minerva and Sylvin (the hell you want? lol)

Comment

• KronicXL
      KronicXL commented
      Editing a comment
      If you tend to play more aggressively, don't bother with Charlie. It's like her description says, she's a Hit-and-Run kind of merc. Go in, do your damage, get out. Wait for someone to be less than half health and strike, get the kill (if you can), and get out quick. I feel like Charlie would be amazing in a group, pair her with Minerva, Vincent, or even Elena, and she will probably work beautifully.

Originally posted by SygBoss View Post
    Edit 3: Ok I officially don't like her anymore lmfao.
    I had a good laugh reading through your edits. You have more patience than I do. I gave up on her after one game. haha

Some good points have been brought up, though. Specifically, I think Minerva's taunt can be Charlie's paradise. But then again that's kind of the case for any high burst Merc and I feel there are better options.

Comment

• SygBoss
      SygBoss commented
      Editing a comment
      lol thanks.
      You mean because the taunt drags you in range to damage her? The problem with that is they're normally dragging you into meteor AOE, and she has way more health than you, and can heal herself, and Charlie is so squishy, it's just such an uphill battle. Minerva and Charlie are making me start to hate this game lol. That ****ing taunt.

• Midasxe
      Midasxe commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh no haha I meant Minerva's taunt is paradise to a friendly Charlie or other high burst Merc. Minerva can taunt an enemy and Charlie can go in and deal lots of damage. Again, though, I think there are better Merc options for dealing a lot of damage quickly.

I started to test some masteries yesterday. For now i'm using "Armored Fist", "Regenerative Pummel" and "Advanced capacitators". And boy, she hits like a truck. Anyways i pretty sure i will try also "Power punch". I'm having lots of fun with Charlie.

Comment

• SygBoss
      SygBoss commented
      Editing a comment
      I've spent 20k testing masteries lol. I still think she's liquid ass, so props to you if you're doing well with her. I occasionally have a game where I manage to win, but it relies heavily on my teammates, where as with other heroes I feel I can still win in spite of my teams quality. As for her damage, I can get the same damage on other heroes without the melee handicap (and it's a huge handicap in this game because of the strain). She either needs a major health or speed buff imo.

ok I tried charlie but never again lol. She sounds like a spice girl lmao.
    I was surrounded by four Mutants and could't do nothing so it doesn't help with those punches. Imo she needs a helper like Hiro do, that way Charlie could heal and get cover when needed. Only times when I get turned by Mutants are with Hiro and now Charlie....

Comment

With some testing I can assure you she is indeed Squishy but has the best Damage per second of all the merc's, very handy for keeping deadlift away from your team and killing those other squishy merc's .When it comes to clearing strain, arcs are best, but you can also use her mobility move and sock-em Best masteries I think are the extra damage to rock em/sock em and the shield bonus on overdrive. Best augments are ones that add damage or Movement speed. You need to Heal a lot, never engage with low health and never engage full health Minerva when alone. Sock-em is a Powerfull move, use to finish off fleeing opponents or to open on groups, also don't move predictably, encircle people, and like Muhammad Ali, you will float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.

Comment

• SygBoss
        SygBoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool thanks for your advice. Can you give a more exact figure on how she matches up in terms of health and dps? Also I question the use of the ult shield mastery. Even maxed it's only 30% extra, and it's not that much shield to begin with, so 30% of something already miniscule seems kinda pointless. Wouldn't duration be better? The increased speed is nice.

Edit: And that game we just played where we were both Charlie was absolutely hilarious lol. She is so freakin terrible.
        Last edited by SygBoss; 10-05-2016, 09:12 PM.

• Undertow12
        Undertow12 commented
        Editing a comment
        she is essentially a half health lockdown with double damage and mobility instead of stuns. The duration only brings the buff time up by 1 second pretty negligible. The shields allow you to poke without taking permanent damage, while its not much she needs it. you want to jump on someone, hit overdrive, whail on them, and use sock em when they try to run at low health. Also be ready to run at a moments notice if you get stunned or outnumbered. If your combo fails just back up until your abilities recharge.

ok I'm just throwing an idea in here, maybe characters like Hiro and charlie should be able to hold maybe 3 arcs, would come in handy when killing strain. However maybe to easy to deliver 3 arcs directly to the drop zone. Maybe 3 arcs could count as 1 when it comes to the drop zone. Charlie and Hiro needs a better defence for being able to get away with Strain though....
      What you guys think?

Comment

• Undertow12
        Undertow12 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it was intentional for them to be bad vs strain, Hiro's turret is quite powerful , and Charlie does the most damage of all the merc's it seems , despite being melee and fragile. Also with the new update killing the mutants is much harder, unless both merc teams are focused on clearing strain mutants just don't seem to lose anymore.
    Working...
    X